Best way to test for central heating leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am unsure if we have a small leak in our central heating system. Basically, we had a bathroom radiator moved from one wall to the opposite wall about 5 months ago.

When I am in the room directly below where the old radiator was I can hear some strange noises, also getting quite a bit of air in the system*.

There is no visual evidence of any water damage, I'm just going by the sounds and the presence of air in two upstairs rads.

System is a conventional system, with a hot water cylinder and a header tank in the loft. What is the best method of determining if we do have a leak?

* Although I have recently flushed out the CH system and re-filled so the presence of air may just be a by-product of this re-filling and not totally expelled yet.

Sponsored Links
Is the pressure dropping on the dial on the boiler?

You might have a micro leak, too small to let water out, but not small enough to let air in.

Or you could tie the arm up on the header tank, and if the water in the tank goes down then you have a leak because it is having to keep topping the system up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back