TESTING CENTRAL HEATING PIPES FOR LEAKS

Sponsored Links
Just a wee reminder Dave, you don't need to pump it up too 380Bar, just like the poor guy in the link Onetap posted up did.
Very, very sad for the young man's family......... :cry:

Of course testing at these sorts of pressures, should only be done in a controlled enviroment.

Just a wee reminder Dave, you don't need to pump it up too 380Bar, just like the poor guy in the link Onetap posted up did.

I knew the idiot would come back with that.

It was an hydraulic test, the accident was due mainly to the small volume of trapped air that was compressed.

You're suggesting compressing a huge volume of air, which will chuck bits around if they fail. And what is the purpose of a pressure test? It is to make weak components fail under controlled conditions.

I knew the idiot would come back with that.

It was an hydraulic test, the accident was due mainly to the small volume of trapped air that was compressed.

You're suggesting compressing a huge volume of air, which will chuck bits around if they fail. And what is the purpose of a pressure test? It is to make weak components fail under controlled conditions.

Oi cnt, who you calling an idiot?? Any time you'd like to come to Glasgow & call me that, just let me know.

Sponsored Links
Oi cnt, who you calling an idiot?? Any time you'd like to come to Glasgow & call me that, just let me know.

I'm terribly sorry. Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

You are recomending a DIYer uses a pressure test method that every known authority, qualified author, learned body and trade association advises avoiding because it is inherently dangerous and is inferior to a hydraulic test. You think you know better.

You are an idiot.

You are recomending a DIYer uses a pressure test method that every known authority, qualified author, learned body and trade association advises avoiding because it is inherently dangerous....

Is it illegal to carry out pneumatic testing??.......NO!!

People like you are costly SMEs a fortune every year with your H&S sh.te!!
It's no surprise the unemployment figures are so high, when you need a 'Risk Assessment' to go for a pee. F.cking Nanny State Jobsworth tozzer complete with clipboard.............. :LOL: :LOL:

There you have it, Dick; you don't like hydraulic tests because they cost you money. You'd be quite happy to instruct some gormless youth you've employed on the minimum wage to pump a system up to 3 or 4 bar, but I'm fairly sure you won't be there to supervise when he does it. And if it goes horribly wrong, there's no written instructions or method statement, so you can deny everything.

Do I cost SMEs a fortune? Yep, probably do, a bunch of slippery can'ts looking to cut corners, defraud the clients and endanger their employees, but so long as they can posture around in their BMW, they don't mind.

There you have it, Dick; you don't like hydraulic tests because they cost you money. You'd be quite happy to instruct some gormless youth you've employed on the minimum wage to pump a system up to 3 or 4 bar, but I'm fairly sure you won't be there to supervise when he does it. And if it goes horribly wrong, there's no written instructions or method statement, so you can deny everything.

Do I cost SMEs a fortune? Yep, probably do, a bunch of slippery can'ts looking to cut corners, defraud the clients and endanger their employees, but so long as they can posture around in their BMW, they don't mind.

Ah!! We are now seeing your true colours mate, you're a trendy lefty that thinks all SMEs are making a fortune at the expense of the poor working class, who's lives are in pearl every day due to their unscrupulous employers!! Get real son, this is 2011, we've employment laws & all this H&S sh.te coming out of our ears.

You my friend are just a jealous wee know-it-all jobsworth & it's people like you that are costly all your 'union brothers' their jobs. We employ people like you to look after the safety & welfare of our employees, they earn a very small salary & like you, are boring wee jobsworths, with a long suffering wife & death trap cars.

Technically you know your onions, but get real son!! You're the type that's got the kids wearing safety goggles to play conkers & going to School wearing Hi-Vis vests......................As a country we have let your type take over!!

Ah!! We are now seeing your true colours mate, you're a trendy lefty that thinks all SMEs are making a fortune at the expense of the poor working class, who's lives are in pearl every day due to their unscrupulous employers!! Get real son, this is 2011, we've employment laws & all this H&S sh.te coming out of our ears.

No Dick. I won't do a pneumatic test if it can be avoided and I won't let others do it if I'm responsible. If they want to do one, then I'd just request that they can follow the procedures in the HVCA code of practice; they usually change their minds somewhere around the bits requiring evacuating the area or boarding over the windows.

There are contractors who know not to ask to do pneumatic tests, nor try to con the client. Strangely, they seem to make a decent profit, keep the same employees and turn up regularly on other contracts. I've learned a few things from them, they may have learned a few things from me and saved some money as a result. The others are usually used once and avoided in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back