Best way to tidy this up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed the tiles from floor to ceiling.
Wife doesn't want tiles on this wall.
Thought I would first:
PVA and fill in the large holes first with patching plaster.
Not bother trying to scrape the tile cement off but PVA again and thin skim of multi finish level with top of tile cement to even it up.
Will this be O.K. or will it cause problems with different drying times when I come to put on the final coat?
Finally PVA again and final coat of multi finish.
Wall is 2.5 x 2.3 mtrs.
All advice gladly welcome.
I am not a plasterer but have done some patching up and did a pretty good job of about 1mtr sq. but this is the biggest job I have yet to attempt!
//www.diynot.com/network/OhGranny/albums/3261/12685

//www.diynot.com/network/OhGranny/albums/3261/12686
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would personally cut the p/board out and put new in and then tape it in and skim it. Or you can go down the fill it patch it bond it and skim it road,up to you but you know what I would do ... Good Luck...

While I would in the past have messed around filling etc, now I would tend to agree with Roy & rip it all off & replace it, you will get a far neater wall if you start from scratch.

Thanks lads I'll take the advice and take it out and replace. It's not as though Plasterboard is expensive.
Can you paint directly onto plasterboard if you have concealed the joins well or does it always need skimming?
G.

Sponsored Links
Concealing the joints well is the problem!!!

Is it a bathroom? &, if so, not a “wet” area?

I concur with “take it all down & start again” but, if it is a bathroom, use Moisture Resistant board (green) not ordinary wall board (grey); cost difference is negligible. Don’t just tape & fill the joins & paint it, it usually looks awful; use square edge boards & get it properly skimmed or skim yourself if you feel brave enough but tape the joins & you must prime MR board before plastering.

Hi Everyone
'tis a bathroom but not the wet side.
Took out the old plasterboard and got the green plasterboard in.
View media item 12992 View media item 12993First mistake didn't state square edge or taper.
Second. Didn't realise that new board is now metric sized.
1200mm instead of the old 1220mm - same with the height no longer 48"
Anyway this has left a much wider gap between the taper edge boards and I would like some advice on how to best plaster this in.
Much as I would love to I am not going to skim all the wall I know it is beyond me at this time and the money's not in the house at this time.
At my last house I tried 'feathering' it in. It looked really good until I painted it and the light really showed up the join (Richard C you must have seen my last house? :rolleyes: ). I think I sanded it down too much and it showed.
I would like to do the same but this time get it right!
Any advice?
G.

I would not advise you attempt to just fill such a large gap especially directly onto wood. I would have butted the boards at the centre & left the gap down one edge then cut a strip of PB to fill the gap, tape it well & then fill over the top of that; you could do it in the centre but there is a higher risk it will crack.

If you have any of your board left then measure the gaps and cut off the tapered edge and screw it in the gaps and tape over it and skim it or use "easi-fill" and feather it in jobs a good "un"..... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back