Best weedkller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for a weed killer spray or something like that to clear a large area (70m x 90m) of nasty brambles and shrubs etc. Can anyone suggest a heavy duty one that is both cost effective and will clear the area quickly. Not really attempted this before but just bought a plot of land and I'm hoping to start an orchard.

Alan

Sponsored Links
http://www.vitax.co.uk/home-garden/sbk-brushwood-killer/

Just follow Health and Safety guidelines to the letter.

Please read the Safety link at ht e bottom of the page before you start.

Thanks.

I was also recommended something like this by a friend today
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doff-100ml-Stump-Weedkiller-Sachets/dp/B003PJCJO8

I'm guessing they are pretty similar.

Looks like I better buy some gloves and a mask, the manufactures website for this one has a fair but of health and safety blurb.

If you're serious about starting a hobby orchard on this land then using brushwood killer at this time of year is not going to help much. If you have vehicular access then better to get a JCB in for a couple of hours to scrape off the site and pile everything up in the centre so you can burn it after its dried out. If you have no vehicle access then a heavy duty hedgetrimmer and a small chainsaw will be best. Then get the ground dug over this winter and then use Roundup several times over the course of next season to clear off perennial weeds . Then get your site planted up with your fruit trees/bushes this time next year. Just a guide, but this may be a better way forward. For a productive fruit orchard, a lot of planning is needed. There's plenty of advice around the internet, but make sure it applies to the UK.

Sponsored Links
If you're serious about starting a hobby orchard on this land then using brushwood killer at this time of year is not going to help much. If you have vehicular access then better to get a JCB in for a couple of hours to scrape off the site and pile everything up in the centre so you can burn it after its dried out. If you have no vehicle access then a heavy duty hedgetrimmer and a small chainsaw will be best. Then get the ground dug over this winter and then use Roundup several times over the course of next season to clear off perennial weeds . Then get your site planted up with your fruit trees/bushes this time next year. Just a guide, but this may be a better way forward. For a productive fruit orchard, a lot of planning is needed. There's plenty of advice around the internet, but make sure it applies to the UK.

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll have a look into this now. It will be difficult to get any kind of vehicle onto the land so it looks like a chainsaw or hedge trimmer would have to do. I was hoping the weed killer would do the job, but not so sure now. This land is directly next to some farmers fields, he currently has sheep in there so i'm not sure he'd take kindly to me burning things, I was going to try and dispose of it myself, possibly create a compost heap.

I wouldn't compost brambles: too woody and likely to root. Or bramble you when you handle the compost. I would look at drying the brambles out and burning them, if possible. You could always put the ashes on the compost heap.

I have a trailer, I could gather the brambles and transport them onto my field at my house to burn, it shouldn't be too much effort. How long should I leave them to dry? Should I cover them with some sort of tarpaulin for a bit before I burn them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back