Best wood stain for panel fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been told that most (outdoor) wood stains dont really preserve the wood and are largely aesthetic. I know cresote would do the job but theres no way I am using that stuff. Is there any other substance out there that will fit the bill?

Also, would be looking to spray this on with an electric sprayer if poss...

Sponsored Links
Try Sadolin Exterior Grade Woodstain. I used this on four fence panels about five years ago and they look the same today as the day I did it. Absolutely brilliant stuff. Normal cheap creosote will fade in months. Mind you it is expensive - £40 for a 5 litre tin - but cheaper in the long run as you will not have to recoat very often.

Regards

Stan

I totally agree with that.

Sadolin is among the best if not the best. It protects the exposed timbers of our house and only now after 10 years is it showing signs of wear.

Be sure to follow the instructions and stir it well before using as the active agents do sink in storage.

Is this product available now?

Cannot see it on the Sadolin web site, although they do have a Shed and Fence protection product.

Sponsored Links
I'm finding it very difficult to get a hold of it (maybe they dont stock it as well in ireland). Have found one outlet with sadolin stuff - but not the exterior wood grade..

Will keep trying places till i find it.

The best presevered timber will have been pressure treated so that the copper based preservative is forced into the wood. Products like woodstains either oil or water based are surface treatments and will repel water and give colour. They generally will last 5 or 6 years are expensive and best applied on smooth timber. Products like Ronseal Fencelife are wax based colourants which repel water and are easier to apply to rough fence panel timber. They are much cheaper and do a good job. Oils also repel water but need regular application as they evaporate.

Ronseal will introduce an electric sprayer and product but Cuprinol already have such on the market.

Look for "Exterior Range" on the Sadolin website. As for stockists in Ireland then why not send an e-mail via the website.

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back