Better solution than a small cleat for long blind cords

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted my new wooden blind (web-blinds, seems OK) and the one niggle is the cord length. Legally cleats and such are supposed to be 15m or more above the floor, and this is a good height anyway, I can reach from my chair at the desk.

But the drop is 1.8m. So even if I shorten the cord to just reach the cleat when the blind is shut, I have 1.8m of string to deal with when fully open.
Wrapping 1.8m of string round a tiny metal cleat is going to be a PITA, that's going to be 20-30 turns.

I looked online but the only solution to dangling cords I found was "get a small cleat". Is there a clever way to improve on that?

Sponsored Links
Is this in your own home? There's no 'legal height' for cleats in your home.

And I guess you meant to say "get a bigger cleat"?

The other minor thing is the huge lump of plastic where the two chords are brought together and joined to a single cord (to stop one side moving without the other). Apparenyl it's some safety feature so it will fall apart if it is choking someone, but it's roughly the size of an AA battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back