between two walls carport,,,,attached to mine..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i;;;;
any ideas, have started construction of lean to carport on our gable,now the drive is dual and the house next door has his garage forward of ours by 7 metres this has given me a spot to build this carport, BUT ive place the posts close to his wall and theres a small gap that the gutter has filled and nothing is touching his wall at all freesatandin post.
hes complained that theres a 8" rule that people cannot build so claose, ie must be 8" away from his wall???
help???
iam ok with permitted devolopment as front and side will be open,, ie this side only 1" gap....
any ideas over this 8"????????????????
think hes confused as to 'your allowed a max overhang for soffits etc on neihbours property ????
help as feel that I do not wish to proceed and then have to remove and replace 8" less....if iam wrong??? icon_r

Sea

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as an '8" rule'.
But your fascia, gutter or whatever should not overhang his side of the boundary without his permission.

hes states the 8" must be away from his wall...hes a little man and set in his ways, we moved her last year and hes jelous and doesnt like change,,been there 30 years noting done to there home!

Sponsored Links
If he's so sure there's an 8 inch rule , ask him to show it to you. If he doesn't know where it is he can phone the council and find out

Ps, ask him, if there truly is an 8 inch rule, how do we have semi detached houses?

we have the deeds to hand and the property was built in 1985
before the so called party wall act of late 1996
now the deeds do NOT show that this is a party wall.
but also we are not touching nore making any fastening at all to this so called party wall
question is, if this is a boundry wall and we belive it to be,,, theres no 'party wall aggreements and no tarce in the deeds, would expect a mention in my deeds as surley I would be legaly resposable to maintain this so called party wall??
and as stated this was 1985
was there a party wall agreement before this act in 1996.
ps/ no mentions even then of 8"
iam wondering with this guy if he has a littel one and 'wishes ' he had 8"~~~~########
thanks to all who have responded so far
cheers.

TBH if your property was built then, I'd be surprised if you have PD rights anyway

Permitted development rights, the thing that allows you to build a car port without applying for planning permission, I hope you checked that you have them rather than just assumed!

Take a photo of the carport and the gap and post it.

we have sent pics and given ok
as we where concerned as to this small gap ie 1" after the gutter,or 6" before. that makes the 2 sides open. they insist on.

we have sent pics and given ok

By who? Did they say you have permitted development rights intact?

Take a photo of the carport and the gap and post it.

hi this is hopefully what a side 'open' is,, no one seems to now what distance suffices as open at both sides???even the council
ref before to info given to planning and aproved,,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back