between two walls carport,,,,attached to mine..

pics/ documents /rough sketch was emailed to council planning and they DID state that as far as they where concerned it was ok...
now the nieghbour has mentioned this 8" distance that I have to be away from his property
this drive is all my gound and within my boundrey
the wall of his garage is the edge of his boundrey.
so as stated wht is the rule over a carport can be built under 30 sq meteres
without planning,,,,,,,,,,,,IF 2 sides are open.............
my point is how open do the 2 sides need to be
the local concil dont seem to know what constituts ''open''
and original blog was whats this 8" that the next door niegbours concerned about????
anyway ive asked the council building regs to call and look, as planning seems happy,, but it may be a building regs problem>>??????
ps wish it was a wind up as half way into this and this has been trown at me.......

Sponsored Links
OK;
it isn't a building regs matter, as long as it is open on at least 2 sides and is < 30 sq.m, so the inspector will not be able or willing to give much help.

We keep coming back the main points of the issue which are;

1. there is no such thing as an '8" rule' and
2. you need to keep the fascia and/or gutter from overhanging the boundary.

If you have set the posts too close to the boundary to allow for a gutter which doesn't overhang, why not just leave the gutter off and let the water discharge on to his side?

As it doesn't come under the building regs, the council can't insist on a gutter there. If your neighbour objects to water coming on his side, then tell him you will put a gutter up. If he doesn't agree to that, then he should be prepared to have water draining on to his side.

The gist of this is that he can't complain about water coming on to his side, if he won't let you put a gutter up!

Sponsored Links
hes acctualy complaaing that with the gutter up his wall will get damp...
iam sure hes a t##t
and not speaking now..
once a c##t allways one. he used to be a boss when working,,so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks
we will se what this building regs says,,,as you say possible nothing,,he couldnt comment on the phone this am, so will keep u posted thanks again all

Note if the wall really is the boundary, then from the photo it looks like the eves of his roof overhang your property, in which case he is in the wrong and it could get rather expensive for him should you demand he remove them.

hi all
yes the guy has overhang, after 25 years cannnot have it removed,
now as all this surfaced asked the local council to send building regs, as they at planning where ok with it, the building regs guy looked at it and said rightout, call it a passageway cover and that was that, no problems there, he has had 30 years and has never heard of this so called 8", except as one member has commented 8" overhang was allowed years ago , now lessmore like 4".
so at ease now and thanks all,thanks for one question I asked the buliding regs guy was when does a carport turn into a passageway cover, as they are almost the same ???? he had no answer there, :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back