Bi-fold door - use normal hinges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - is it possible to use a bi-fold door like a normal one, so it's just hinged on the side rather than using the track at the top of the door?

I don't like the tracks because the folded door juts out perpendicular to the doorframe and I;d like it to fold back.

I see two drawbacks:

a) because the door folds and is just hinged. The hinges may pull the door out of the lock

b) the bi-fold doors all appear to be about and inch shorter than normal to accommodate the top track. So I would need to build out the door frame.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
i think for it to fold completley back you will need to fit parliment hinges to the main hanging side.

The track is just a guide to stop the doors flapping about wildly.

You will need heavy duty hinges.

Thanks all - any idea where I could buy full height bi-fold doors?

They all seem to be slightly shorter to accommodate the top track.

Sponsored Links
Hi - is it possible to use a bi-fold door like a normal one, so it's just hinged on the side rather than using the track at the top of the door?

I don't like the tracks because the folded door juts out perpendicular to the doorframe and I;d like it to fold back.

I see two drawbacks:

a) because the door folds and is just hinged. The hinges may pull the door out of the lock

b) the bi-fold doors all appear to be about and inch shorter than normal to accommodate the top track. So I would need to build out the door frame.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nick

Hi Nick

With Bifold doors, all doors will only fold perpendicular to the frame. There are many options for Bifolding doors and you can have a set of doors where only one sash opens and the rest remain shut. Have a look at my web site ******************* and if you need any assistance feel free to call us. we will be pleased to help out. I run my own company that manufacture bifolding doors. Hope this helps.

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back