Biasi Boiler Leaking with Diverter Valve problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a really strange Biasi Boiler. 3 months ago it leaked for a couple of hours, then suddenly stopped. It did the same again 2 month ago, and then stopped again. It's done it again, and it looks like the diverter valve is playing up. It leaks when the heating is on, and stops when it's off. The water is hot that is leaking out. It doesn't leak if the heating is off and you switch the hot water on!

The other point is, we have the house going through on a sale, and expecting to complete in a couple of months. So it's unfortunate timing, but what can you do?! What are our options? I feel like our only real option is to get the valve replaced. I've found a working "used" valve on ebay, but how much would the labour roughly cost? I like Waltham Cross area (Pretty much on the M25 north of London!)

Sponsored Links
Getting it fixed seems like the right thing to do, or tell the new owner about it, they may have it in mind to replace boiler anyway?

I reckon you are looking at around £100-£150 labour.

Getting it fixed seems like the right thing to do, or tell the new owner about it, they may have it in mind to replace boiler anyway?

I reckon you are looking at around £100-£150 labour.

Fantastic. I just need to find a plumber who will do it. Is there much wrong with buying a "used" but working part?

No, but beware buying off ebay, I bought a second hand PCB for my old Biasi Riva Compact boiler off ebay, came with a blown fuse and had the exact same problem as the old one had (burnt resistor).

You can get service kits for the diverter valves for around £20-£30 which replace all the internals and it's pretty much a new valve then.

Sponsored Links
No, but beware buying off ebay, I bought a second hand PCB for my old Biasi Riva Compact boiler off ebay, came with a blown fuse and had the exact same problem as the old one had (burnt resistor).

You can get service kits for the diverter valves for around £20-£30 which replace all the internals and it's pretty much a new valve then.

I guess the risk is I end up buying a broken one like the one I already have! Where is a good place to find a decent gas engineer who will replace it? I had one quote from someone for £250!

Try websites like checkatrade etc.. other than that the yellow pages, recommendations?

Might be one hiding under your bed.

Also, do you know why it might "fix" itself a couple of times in the past? It seems really odd that one minute it would leak and the next be working fine!

That's plumbing for you.

Had weeps were I've thought I will sort that tomorrow (nothing serious ofc) and the next day it's bone dry.

I find that most leaking diverter valve problems on a Biasi 24S are only going to cost the customer about £127 in our local area. More further afield.

That is repaired with new parts!

Repairs with second hand parts?

Tony

I find that most leaking diverter valve problems on a Biasi 24S are only going to cost the customer about £127 in our local area. More further afield.

That is repaired with new parts!

Repairs with second hand parts?

Tony

Hi Tony,

That's really helpful. I could really do with it costing around that much. I just need to find someone reliable to do it. I sent a message to a plumber near by to get some quotes and he said (from the description) it didn't sound like it was the diverter valve. Which is confusing. When I had it checked 2 months back, a different plumber said the it was either the diverter valve or the return valve, as they are the only two things that are in the leaking area. The expansion vessel and the release valve are on the opposite side of the boiler and it they were leaking it would be coming out a different bit. It just sounded like it was the diverter valve because the leak stops immediately when the heating is switched off. It doesn't leak when the hot water is running (which works fine). Only when the central heating is on. I'm no plumber so could be completely wrong, but doesn't that sound like the diverter valve?

Thank you

Glen

Its not possible to diagnose exact causes over the internet.

Only in front of the boiler!

Tony

Its not possible to diagnose exact causes over the internet.

Only in front of the boiler!

Tony

That's fair. It just sounded like it was that part to me. But wanted to check it wasn't impossible considering the information.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Glen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back