Bishop of Southwark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:LOL: You couldn't make this up! "I'm the bishop of Southwark, It's what I do...." - this is the best giggle I've had for a while: :LOL:

Strange goings-on in Southwark:

Scotland Yard is investigating a curious incident in which his lordship, the Bishop of Southwark, appears to have got rather tipsy and believed he had been robbed.

Tom Butler, 66, is thought to have been well entertained at an embassy function in London’s Belgravia last week. During his walk home he lost his bishop’s cross and personal belongings, and in a bizarre act is alleged to have got into the back seat of a parked Mercedes in a street called Crucifix Lane, south London, and begun throwing children’s toys out of the window.....

The bishop, a regular on Thought for the Day on Radio 4’s Today programme, told worshippers at the inauguration of a new vicar that night that he had been mugged and that his head was so bruised that he could not wear his mitre.

But people living and working near Southwark Cathedral in south London describe an altogether different incident in which the bishop, wearing his robe under a black coat, was found in the rear of the unlocked silver Mercedes A200 car.

Paul Sumpter, the car’s owner, was playing pool in the Suchard bar nearby. He and some other customers came out to confront Butler after the car’s alarm sounded and its hazard lights began to flash.

Sumpter said to Butler: “Oi, what are you doing in my car?” The bishop allegedly replied: “I’m the Bishop of Southwark. It’s what I do.”

Two of the men pulled him from the car and in the fracas the bishop, a married father of two, accidentally fell to the pavement and injured his head.

He sat and then lay on the pavement for several minutes while an onlooker dialled 999, but Butler declined medical attention and an ambulance was cancelled.....

The bishop spent more than two hours at the party and is said to have imbibed several glasses of Portuguese wine.

The Dean is puzzled:

Colin Slee, the Dean of Southwark, said: “I’m immensely concerned for the bishop because it is so out of character. I wonder if we are looking at a cerebral phase, a sort of mini stroke.

I don't think so, Colin, to be honest.

Sponsored Links
I think there's more to this story - I can't for the life of me work out how the bishop gained entry to the car. If the alarm went off - surely it would have been locked up. I've read nothing to say that he damaged the vehicle gaining entry. Hmmm something's fishy about all this.

read the Easter story :eek: egress from a sealed tomb--------ingress to a sealed car--------piece of **** :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back