Bit of landscaping/garden upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present ive had a load of bushes, shrubs and small conifers cut down to the front and side of the house. Now im slowly digging the roots out. The soil in places is one big matted mess with small roots binding in the soil. These are all close the the external wall of the house.

My plan is to finish up rooting. Then i want to create an edging border around the external of the house. One side grass and the other decorative stone.

To do this im planning on digging a trench roughly 50 cm wide (No decided on measurements yet) from edge of the external house wall and infill with 2 to 3 inches of sand. Level off and lay bricks width ways resting on the sand creating a mow strip for the grass side and a raised edge for the decorative stone side.

Does this sound ok so far?

The grass where i have cut out the bushes and shrubs is all mud now so will either need new turf to blend in with old butted up to the mow strip or put down grass seed.. Can you lay old and new turf together. Is this better than seed etc.

Any advice welcome

Sponsored Links
50cm is a bit mean for a path. Make it at least 60 or preferably 75-90.

Your block paving should have a sub base, then bedding sand. ideally a 100mm compacted sub base but 75mm is ok for an occasional path. The blocks should then be laid on 30mm of compacted grit sand. The edging course should be laid on and haunched with mortar.

As for turf you can certainly lay old against new but it will take a year or more to blend in as the new turf will be super green vs the old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back