Black lumps in old internal house walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Noticed a small protrusion on a bedroom wall that was painted last summer. I assumed it was maybe where I had filled in an old screw hole with filler and the filler hadn't quite set and and had bulged out. Sanded it back and removed the cracked plaster which revealed this large black lump in the wall, which looks as if it has moved and caused the protrusion in the wall. I sanded back another small bulge in the same wall and found the same thing. It's an original internal wall, not plasterboard.

It's a terraced house, built around 1900 so very old and I'm used to hairline cracks appearing where there is movement. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about it's more that I'm curious as to what they are. They're hard to the touch, don't easily break away but leave a black smudge when wiped. Very old screws/nails?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_20220402_150950.jpg
    IMG_20220402_150950.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20220402_151807.jpg
    IMG_20220402_151807.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
I would go with old nails, try a magnet on them. If so treat with rust killer and a touch of oil based primer. I keep a car touch up stick of primer handy for jobs like this.

I think you're right, the dust smells quite metallic. I've got some zinsser primer so I'll spot over the area before repainting. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back