Painting old room questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

Looking for a bit of advice.

Got a crack (pic areached) across my ceiling and wondering which is the best way to repair ?
- scrape, fill, scrim tape, filler over the tape
- scrim tape, filler over the tape

Additionally, the walls are very old and after giving it a good clean, fill and sand where required, would I be better doing a:
- mist coat
- white undercoat (leyland trade brilliant Matt white)

In terms of the order of doing things I’m thinking:
- remove wall plugs, clean walls with sugar soap, fill holes / cracks, sand the lot, paint ceiling, walls, skirtings

Thank you

Nathan

Attachments

• F3A1A5AE-CF89-4037-993B-227F4A189F82.jpeg
    F3A1A5AE-CF89-4037-993B-227F4A189F82.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
You know the conventional ideas already. If you need something new and exotic, I can suggest one. Dig out the crack slightly, sand flat, and fill with hybrid polymer sealant. Then scrape off the excess to be flat with the ceiling. Lastly, prime and paint. This method won't give you a bump like the conventional method would. A denser sealant has less shrinkage and works better for this. The sealant is not brittle and unlikely to crack open by the movements that caused cracking. This is bleeding edge stuff, and its long term performance is unknown.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back