Fresh paint cracking at ceiling/wall joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Would anyone have any ideas as to why the paint at my ceiling/wall joint is cracking?

I had the room plastered years ago which was done with scrim tape and the paint cracked then. I’ve scraped off/sanded back the old paint and applied a fresh coat and it’s cracked again whilst drying overnight. I’m satisfied there is no movement between the joints but am at a loss as to the cause ‍♂️

This time I am using Armstead emulsion.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you

Andy

Attachments

• 2A9BEE6D-F1ED-4225-9465-0DF59530EECF.jpeg
    2A9BEE6D-F1ED-4225-9465-0DF59530EECF.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 250
Sponsored Links
It looks like the plaster has cracked rather than the paint.

You could try a bead of caulk.

It looks like the plaster has cracked rather than the paint.

You could try a bead of caulk.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I agree but am really confident it hasn’t. I scraped away or sanded old paint and it look absolutely fine before I painted it. I did use some easi fill in places which I omitted in my earlier post.

I believe I used some caulk when it was done originally as it cracked and that didn’t work then.

I’m really at a total loss as to what could be causing this

Sponsored Links
I managed to overcome this using Polycell crack-free ceiling paint. It’s an expensive paint but so far hasn’t cracked and hopefully doesn’t go on to do so

just thought I’d update the thread for anyone who may have a similar problem in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back