Paint cracking on a plasterboard joint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem. before painting a bedroom wall there was a small thin crack in the plaster - which i am positive is where 2 plaster boards are joined. I rubbed down the edges then applied mist coats etc. Now the wall is finished but to my annoyance the crack has reappeared. It is a very thin crack but i can see it :eek::mad:. I have read that there is some sort of jointing tape i can buy - could some one tell me which tape and how to do it and also would i be able to put it on newly painted walls?? :confused::unsure:. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Jointing tape is applied prior to any plastering and this helps to stop and movement and cracking of the joint. It may not have any in if its still cracking. Best thing is to make the crack bigger, almost like a "V" shape and re fill it with filler and sand it back after.

Thanks for your reply Robbie. Can i just use pollyfilla to fill the crack then or does it have to be a special filler?

Sponsored Links
It'll still crack I'm afraid. It's a weak joint, and it will move again at some point. There are heavy grade lining papers that might hide the crack, and there are very durable papers specifically designed to handle movement joints. You might get away with opening the crack up, and filling with a 2 part filler to provide strength and rigidity, but I suspect the only asnwer will be to replaster with jointing tape.

Thanks again Robbie. Oh dear Doggit i was hoping to avoid that - i will try the filler first and fingers crossed it works. Thanks for your reply though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back