Cracks in paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am redecorating and there are cracks in the paintwork. I have filled them twice and the cracks reappear in 24 hours. They are around 0.5mm deep and pretty straight, across the width of the wall. I suspect the paint is cracking along the plasterboard joins?

What is the best solution? I have been surfing around, and some people have suggested using decorator's caulk. Others suggest digging out the crack and refilling. I have also seen joint filler products, would they be any good? Is there any way of putting joint tape over the existing paint?

I am looking to sell the property so not keen on any radical/expensive solution like replastering. I just need a fix that will last 6-12 months.

I have considered lining paper but it looks very fiddly, I'm a DIY novice.

Thanks v much for your help!

Reubs

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me like the filler you are using is drying and shrinking causing the continual cracking.

Just use Unibond "No More Cracks".
Its a flexible paintable filler that was made especially for your need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back