Filling cracks

8 Jul 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
What is the best flexible filler for filling cracks?

The reason for this is that I am about to decorate the lounge and have noticed that a door shaped crack is showing on one of the walls. Obviously there used to be a door there which has been bricked up but not done properly i.e. plasterboard, jointing tape and replastering/skimming.

I presume I could do the job properly now by covering the cracks with jointing tape and then replastering but would I have to plaster the entire wall? If so, this is not ideal due to having remove a radiator.

I'm therefore left with making the best of a bad job by filling the cracks but as there will still be a certain amount of movement I need a flexible filler so the cracks don't reappear.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions.
Sponsored Links
I don't think any flexible filler will stop the cracks re-appearing. It'll work for a little while, but the cracks will still come back. There's a bit of work (plastering) involved to do it properly,, and yes,, it is better to skim the whole wall afterwards. It can be quicker doing it that way, than trying to feather out the plastered door patch, and trying to match it in with the existing plaster.

You could try flexible caulk but it’s not meant for filling cracks, you can’t sand it flush so you will almost certainly see a sort of smear as opposed the crack. RC is right, nothing will really stop it cracking again, it needs remedial work; have a read of this to save me repeating it all;
a slightly different topic initially but the conclusion is the same.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local