Cracks between plasterboards

Adam_notVeryHandy, good evening again.

Can I suggest that you "consider" fitting a cove of suitable dimensions between wall and ceiling?

It appears that in image 1 posted, the cracks have formed on some old fill between ceiling plasterboard and wall.

In image 2 the crack on the ceiling to the left? appears to be a thin strip of plasterboard? how wide is it? could a cove cover it?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Good evening Ken,

Could you explain what you mean by cove? Other than a bay by the sea I haven't heard of that term.

It could be a strip of plasterboard. I'm not sure to be honest. It feels solid (not paper) but quite thin. It's just under 3cm wide.

Adam_notVeryHandy, good evening again.

The link below [other suppliers are out there --- loads of them] may assist in giving you an Idea of a "Cove"

https://www.diy.com/departments/building-supplies/plastering-supplies/cornices-coving/DIY570171.cat

As for the 30.mm wide crack?? it is unusual to fit a 3.0. cm wide bit of plasterboard in that position, it will be [bluntly] unstable and tend to crack.

if you do opt to fit a "Cove" / Cornice these things come at times wider than 30 cm. which would obscure the crack and mask / hide the gaps at the junction of wall / ceiling.

Hope this assists?

Ken.

Ken,
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think a cove would work in this case, because none of the other walls have it so it would look a bit out of place.

I was thinking of getting a narrow strip of lining paper and folding it half way to fit into the corner. Before that I would need to scrape out the cracked bits a fill with Toupret RedLite as opps suggested. I just need to figure out some way to make the paper stick to the corner before I paint over it. So sort of glue perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Ideally, you would pull the paper forward, add a bit of wall paper paste and push it back and then use regular caulk once the paste had dried.

In the real world you will probably find the as the ceiling and wall join cracked, some of the plaster fell to the bottom of the loose paper. If you try to glue it back, you may well have lots of grit that is visible once the glue dries.

When faced with those kind of small areas, I normally cut the paper away and back fill with RedLite (or similar).

It might be worthwhile gunning some fibracryl in to the wall/ceiling join first but it isn't really designed for joints that are quite so subject to that much movement. For the sake of an extra tenner, I would recommend using a modified silicone polymer such as CT1, Sikaflex, etc. MS polymers are almost as flexible as silicone sealants but they can be painted over (unlike silicone). Unlike acrylic caulk, they don't shrink back.

A massive down side to using MS polymers is that if you paint straight over them with oil based paints, the paint remains tacky for months. Not a problem when using water based paints though (I use waterbased primer before I paint over them). They are sticky but as someone else here taught me, dip your finger in white spirit to smooth it.

Other than the above, the only notable downside is the cost. £2 for regular caulk, up to £10 for the likes of CT1. Possibly annoying if you only need a tenth of a tube but when you factor in your own labour value, unless you are unemployed, it is often the case that the more expensive products will reduce your labour time and end up being the cheaper option (once you factor in your own labour costs/ versus something else you could have been doing).

Sorry, none of the above is intended to read as being condescending. I am aware that when some people ask for advice, they want the path of least
expenditure. On other occasions, somebody might be more concerned about longevity rather than initial outlay. As a professional I tend to offer advice that errs towards the latter.

Hi oops. Thanks again!

If I understand correctly you're suggesting using a combo of CT1 first followed by Redlite rather Fibacryl and Redlite as that will be more resistive to movement. I don't think I'd want to scrape away massive amounts of plaster so I only need a little bit.

The price isn't that different. Amazon has a 290ml tube of CT1 for £11.95 and a 330g tube of Fibacryl for £8.99. Redlite only comes in 1L tubs.

Would you suggest putting some scrim or paper in between the CT1 and Redlite?

I saw this strait flex crack tape on ebay which seems like it's the best of both worlds, but it's extremely expensive: Strait flex.

Cheers,
Adam

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The strait flex is designed for internal/external plasterboard joins when doing tape and fill rather than applying plaster over the top. You can use it if you want to but you will then need to buy some EasyFill filler to feather it out. I wouldn't advise scrim tape unless you want o feather it out with plaster

Rather than RedLite, you could use RedDevil OneTime filler, they are very similar and the RedDevil is available in 250ml and 500ml tubs.

I can see why you wouldn't want to buy a whole tube of CT1 for such as small area. Cut away the loose paper, gun in the Fibacryl, let it shrink back and then back fill with the redLite/ OneTime. Total cost for plasterboard cracks and ceiling crack equals approx £18 (materials, excluding sand paper and paint).

Thanks again opps. Sounds like the flex paper might be a bit thick for the job. It is a small crack.

Already bought the Redlite on ebay. Now trying to decide between the CT1 and Fibracryl.

Also, I think I need to sand away the paint in the corner first right? If I put the Redlite straight over the paint, it probably won't stick very well to the plasterboard?

I decided to go for the CT1. It seems like it's easier to apply. I'm just wondering if I really need the filler on top of it. If it's like a sealant but can be painted over, will it not do the job on it's own if it's a small crack? I'm wondering if it's less likely to reappear that way given it's fully flexible.

I decided to go for the CT1. It seems like it's easier to apply. I'm just wondering if I really need the filler on top of it. If it's like a sealant but can be painted over, will it not do the job on it's own if it's a small crack? I'm wondering if it's less likely to reappear that way given it's fully flexible.

Sorry Adam, do you mean the ceiling/wall cracks or the cracks in the plasterboard? I would not recommend using the CT1 for the plasterboard cracks unless you are sure that you can keep it below the surface of the plaster. Although it is somewhat like a silicone, you cannot spread it as thinly as a silicone and it is very sticky, if you intend to use it in the plasterboard gaps, wipe away the excess with a cloth dipped in white spirit, and then back fill with the redlite. Oh and keep the lid on the redlite when not in use so that it doesn't go hard.

Both wall and cieling. The cracks are that small that I'm not sure if I could fit the CT1 as well as the Redlite.

What about Skilaflex? I read that that can be sanded after it's set so even if I add too much I can sand it back.

You can theoretically sand both CT1 and Sikaflex but in reality you can't sand either flat with the surfaces to the left and right. You will end up with a slight step/ridge.

I have painted numerous windows where the guy restoring them used CT1 (etc) where the styles and rails meet. I try to sand them but end up using a sharp knife to cut them away and then back fill with epoxy resin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back