Fixing a loose plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm decorating a bedroom and noticed a crack down the corner of a wall where the plasterboard meets. This would be easy to fix, but the central part on one the boards moves about 2-3mm, so if I fix the crack and someone leans on the wall it will reappear.

This an outside wall on a 1968 house, so I guess the board is glued to the wall and has come loose?

What is the best way to fix this please. Can I just drill the wall and insert a rawplug and countersunk screw then fill over?

Thanks for your advice
Robin

Sponsored Links
vonsworld, good evening.

Off the wall suggestion??

Can you see any screw fixings above or below the area of P/Board that is moving?

Try shining a BRIGHT light down the surface of the wall to try to see the [filled] screw holes, if they exist??

Or get a strong magnet they will find any screws when you run the Magnet up and down the plasterboard

Any idea if there is a gap behind the plasterboard? tap it and is it hollow? indeed tap all over the board, are there any areas that are hollow and some that "sound" solid? if so this may?? indicate the plasterboard is fixed by Dot / Dab?

Ken.

Thanks for your reply.

There appears to be no fixings in the plasterboard and from the amount it moves there is probably a 5mm gap behind it, so this means its dot & dab?

One suggestion I spotted on the web was to drill a hole in the loose spot and squirt expanding foam behind the board to fix it in place...

Maybe I'll give that a go

I second the expanding foam.

I recently had to prepare skirting boards in my 1950s home (prior to someone fitting a vinyl floor). The skirting boards had a lot of bounce. I drilled a series of holes big enough to squirt the foam in to. It worked well.

I cut away the excess foam and used 2 two pack filler over the top.

In your case, drill the holes and then use a soft filler once the foam has cured.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a solution !

5.mm "bounce" could indicate dot dab, foam should address the issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back