Lining paper and dulux once

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you just slap lining paper on, or is it worth taking the time to prepare the surface? I'm inclined to sand right down to the plasterboard this time and apply a primer,
Also, I already have some dulux once which I've used with no problems in other rooms.
I know people on here don't like it, but is there any specific reason it wont work on lining paper?

History:
  • Room had cheap looking purple walls all completely covered in hairline cracks
    I sanded, applied diluted PVA (I know...)
    Applied "dulux once" one coat paint
    Applied some minor touch ups once it had dried, but not a 2nd coat
    Cracks reappeared with days
    Tried again, sand then repaint.
    Cracks reappeared a few months later

sanding a thin layer of paint off removes the cracks, but they reappear eventually

Sponsored Links
Have you tried cutting out the cracks?, Sometimes you can sand the hairline cracks and it blends into the wall, but if the crack has opened up, and the paint around the crack is looking proud, then your best bet it to cut them open and fill.
Even if you line, the LP will cover them as such, but after a few months they will show thru the paper if not straight away.
You would still have to open and fill the cracks before you line.

Regards the Once... :evil: , have you tried thinning the paint down before you actually paint, I know its Once for a reason, but that along with silk is the devils work, horrible stuff. :evil:

If your conficent about lining you may like to try linen or cotton backed lining paper..it has a bit of a 'surface' to it so id suggest you went over the top with a 1000 grade..thats after you have done all the filling as spicy suggests.

There is also another lining product out there called 'armadillo' which I beleive is designed for problem walls

Re the 'once' if your going to use it you really need to thin the first coat otherwise it will just sit on the surface and eventually flake because its very thick..plus trying to roll or even worse brush it over an absorbant surface like lining paper is going to be hard hard work...it might cover..but it will probably end up patchy

So definatly thin the first one..you wont get away with one coat.

Maybe I'll just keep that paint for future touching up in the other rooms...

All the walls are entirely covered in cracks, so I think I'm going to have to take a brute force approach.
This image is a 20-30cm sample:

Sponsored Links
Those cracks look like a matt emulsion painted over oil based gloss or eggshell

You have a massive adhesion problem there..no point in covering it up though id say it really need to come off before it comes back at a later date you haunt you.

It could also be matt over silk..

Or is that the damage caused after you used the PVA and coated over the top of it?

I have seen that effect before in old style buildings that have that ripple finish on the walls

The house was built in about 1990 and is all plasterboard.
The network of cracks was in the original paint, so shouldn't be my PVA.
My theory is either the original builders were in a rush to finish and didn't do things properly or the previous owners used some very dodgy paint...

I'm half tempted to soften the paint with a heat gun, but I assume I'd destroy the plasterboard paper layer.

The house was built in about 1990 and is all plasterboard.
The network of cracks was in the original paint, so shouldn't be my PVA.
My theory is either the original builders were in a rush to finish and didn't do things properly or the previous owners used some very dodgy paint...

I'm half tempted to soften the paint with a heat gun, but I assume I'd destroy the plasterboard paper layer.

The house was built in about 1990

Then I reckon its definatly matt over silk...especially as you have used 'once' its very highly pigmented and probably not as flexible as traditional vinyl matt..

but I assume I'd destroy the plasterboard paper layer

You assume right...dont do that.

I would be half tempted to line the wall..but im worried that if there is an adhesion problem between the old and the new it might lift the latest layer off at the joints..is it well stuck to it?..maybe a coat of something over the wall to seal it first might do the trick..like a coat of zinseer bin.

Thanks, your advice made me realise it's time to start again.
I've started scraping off the paint.
It's coming off back to the plasterboard OK, even with my Focus Basics chisel knife :!:

There will be a few nicks into the paper layer of the plasterboard, but apart from that at least I'll be starting with a clean slate and can fill, sand, prime, paint, paint.

I take it it's only still worth hanging lining paper if the plasterboard is in a poor state at the end of all the scraping?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back