black mould just keeps coming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we live in a 1800s stone end terrace. the bedroom wall is painted over wallpaper and black mould keeps coming back after cleaning off. I intend to remove the wallpaper (old plaster behind) and redecorate. Can anyone tell me how to prevent the mould from returning, can I treat the plaster or should I pull off and replaster. I dont want to repaper if I can avoid it.

Sponsored Links
Do you have condensation problems in the room?
That could well be the cause of the black spores.

So you need to resolve that firstly, once that has been resolved, providing the spores are not living under you wallpaper, you may be able to kill them and prevent it from reoccurring.

Sounds like your going to do a good job by removing the old plaster and starting again.
mould can occur on cold walls if furniture is standing against them, it can even appear behind curtains! keep the wall clear if you can! and always ensure good daily ventilation.

Hi.

I think its very important that you turn your attention to the EXTERIOR of the house, not the interior. You sound like you have a case of penetrating damp coming into the house, from the outside. What is the condition of the exterior wall?

Also, as the other chap pointed out, the room might need to be aired a little, and maybe use a dehumidifier also, but like i said, take a good look at the outside, after all, spores are caused by damp or moisture, and moisture has to come from somewhere, and that is place is usually outside.

Good luck. :D

Sponsored Links
It does indeed sound like condensation.

If it was damp coming in from outside the paper would be likely to start lifting as the glue activates.

The moisture could be the moisture that you exhale when sleeping or from showering or cooking.

The condensation that you see on single glazed windows in the morning but not at 11 at night doesn't magically come in from outside when you are asleep. It is the result of you breathing and the moist air hitting a cold surface.

Airflow is a must!!!

Insulating the wall will also help. There are rubber/foam hessian wallcoatings you can use. or additives you add to the paint ,or you can use polystyrene backed plasterboard on the external walls.

lift the paper :!: if its wet behind you have a problem with the wall from outside or below. If it's on the outer surface of the paper only it's to do with ventilation in the room (you hope)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back