Bleeding Rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler Worcester 24i running 10 rads. I'm having a nightmare bleeding my upstairs rads, which are not hot at the top, but scolding at the bottom. My downstairs one will seep water when attempting to bleed, but when I try the updstairs ones I get a hiss which dies and no water comes out, however long i wait :(

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a shortage of water and/or pressure.

Is your system fed from a small water tank (a feed and expansion cistern) in the loft? It will usually be a rectangular black plastic tank about 1ft x 1ft x 18inches, with a large copper pipe bent over the top of it.

Not all systems have these.

About how old is the system?

maxcars1 said:
Boiler Worcester 24i running 10 rads. I'm having a nightmare bleeding my upstairs rads, which are not hot at the top, but scolding at the bottom. My downstairs one will seep water when attempting to bleed, but when I try the updstairs ones I get a hiss which dies and no water comes out, however long i wait :(

Could be airlock or knackered pump.

JohnD said:
Sounds like you have a shortage of water and/or pressure.

Is your system fed from a small water tank (a feed and expansion cistern) in the loft? It will usually be a rectangular black plastic tank about 1ft x 1ft x 18inches, with a large copper pipe bent over the top of it.

Not all systems have these.

About how old is the system?

isn`t the 24i a combi??

Sponsored Links
Well I spent tonight trying too bleed to no avail. Upstairs rads are still predominantly hot at the botton at either warm or cold at the top. All i got out of the rads wewre hissing and the sound of running water, but no water coming out of teh bleed screws - was at it for an hour. By the way the boiler pump is working and at the right pump pressure on teh guage. So I ask what is my next attack? Close all the rads downstairs and then try bleeding again or call the pumber out and pay up?

Did you look at the FAQs, and do you know how to top up the water and pressure using your Filling Loop?

JohnD said:
Did you look at the FAQs, and do you know how to top up the water and pressure using your Filling Loop?

Why would I want to top up water and pressure if the dial gauge on teh Worcester boiler is above the preset operating settings - I'm confused

JohnD said:
Did you ...?
maxcars1 said:
...Why would I want to...?

Is that a "No"?

It sounds as if you have insufficient water in the system.

You have been bleeding rads and seem to have no pressure. Your pressure gauge should show a drop in pressure each time you bleed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back