Blessed Potterton Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are lots of posts on these old boilers, but none seem to quite match the problem I'm having, unless I haven't looked carefully enough. Informed advice gratefully received!

System is: Potterton Suprima 50 boiler and Heatrae Sadia megaflo unvented cylinder.

Had various problems over the years, but this is what is happening at moment.

Following the last service not so long ago, had problems with the pump running and the boiler firing occasionally even when the controller for hw & ch were turned off. Problem seemed to resolve after a couple of days and cancelled engineer visit; found that when the boiler was working, the pump was pretty much always on (it would stop for a couple of seconds and then start going again, coupled with the boiler lights indicating (briefly) "no external call for heat" and then very quickly changing to "boiler temperature control satisfied"). Lived with it for a bit, but the problem of the boiler working when the controller is off has re-emerged, so the pump is always on, with brief stops of seconds, and the boiler is occasionally firing when the timed controls are off. The boiler does still seem to respond to the controller, i.e. only firing properly and in a sustained way when that is on, but it won't shut down completely ( to the state where the pump is off and the boiler light indicates no external call for heat) . Had to turn everything off at the mains to stop it.

Called out engineer and he changed PCB and twiddled with thermostat setting on the cylinder, room thermostat etc. He tested things out, seemed very good intially, but after he left and the timer was due to go off, the pump just kept running as before and boiler was indicating that the boiler temperature control was satisfied, wasn't changing to the no external call for heat. So, the problem is still there.

One difference: When you turn the temperature dial to off, everything does as it is supposed to. Pump doesn't run, light indicates no external call for heat. Turn it on even a smidgen and it fires up regardless of the timer for CH & HW being off. Drained the tank of it's hot water and left it for a few hours. Turned back on, fires up - hot water builds up again, central heating nice and warm, but when the timer is turned off, pump keeps going again etc.

So, engineer booked; again. Another day off work. What's happening with the bloody thing? Is it something to do with the pump? Motorised valves? The cylinder thermostat seems to work fine. Water temp matches the setting on the dial when changed.

The engineers that come out on my service plan either fob me off or just change the PCB, which does not seem to address things. It's not my area of expertise, so any help gratefully received. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you are electrically savvy, turn off the mains, take off the right hand cover (with the door) off the boiler, remove the SL cable and insulate.

If the boiler does not fire or run the pump, then the issue is not with your boiler.

A microswitch stuck in position within a motorised valve will be the culprit; the programmer being on all the time will not cause this issue because it does not directly turn on the boiler without the valves being open.

Your comment about the fault only being there after the last service is a typical customer comment used when blame needs to be apportioned. Do you mean it occured the very moment after the service engineer left? Or in the following month?

Nothing carried out in a routine service would create the problem you describe.

A microswitch stuck in position within a motorised valve will be the culprit; the programmer being on all the time will not cause this issue because it does not directly turn on the boiler without the valves being open.

so how will a microswitch be faulty if he can shut it down by turning the stat down ?

Sponsored Links
If he turns down the boiler stat the Suprima will not fire and the pump will not run.

I think you have assumed it is the room stat he is turning down, I have assumed the boiler stat.

Lets ask the OP.

yes your correct i did read as cyl stat.

but reading again its poss the boiler stat and as you say the microswitch is stuck.

Thanks for you help so far :).

In relation to the service engineer's visit, I wasn't implying he caused it, just a correlation. The pump problem had been around for ages. Engineer said it sounded ok to him. The not turning off and the pump running all night only started on the day, after the service. I don't know that he did do anything to cause that though.

I turned the boiler stat off and it behaved itself. Turning it on even a little and everything fired up. I had turned down the cylinder stat to 50 (it had been on 70 apparently) and thought the temp was fine, at about 54 degrees. Checking it just a bit before it was up at 58. I know these things aren't perfect, but I wonder if the cylinder thermostat may not be ok.

Im not sure I would tackle this myself, but when you say SL cable Simon, what does that stand for? Is it labelled?!

Yes, it will be called SwL or SL. It is the switched live that turns the boiler on when your 'external controls' eg: timer and thermostat request for some heat.

If you temporarily disconnect this cable from the wiring connector in the boiler it will probably stop the boiler firing. If so, your PoxiBatterton boiler is not at fault.

If you're not comfortable, don't do it.

As a generalisation, insurance repairers are very low in the Darwinian scale of plumbing. They also get paid very poorly, no coincidence.

I'll maybe try what you suggest tom Simon, if I'm feeling confident.

Boiler showing temp reached light again instead of no external call for heat and pump running again even though CH&HW timer is off :(.

It had behaved itself for a bit. Also, when I set the cylinder stat to minimum, boiler doesn't fire, set it at 40, temp creeps up to 54. When you turn the dial until it clicks, the valve does seem to respond, moving back to the A position from the B, and things quieten down but the pump keeps running and the boiler keeps flashing green. :(

Thanks for the advice. I'll test the boiler and go from there. It's an old 3 port valve, so Id have to take the whole thing off to change it and drain the system :(.

Two port valve sorry. Tried running the boiler this morning and it just trips the RCD :(. So, I'm worse off than if I just hadn't called an engineer out! How do I find a competent engineer so I can just pack Heatteam in?! The call centre is so unhelpful, it's not true. Rant, rant

it doesn't mean that heateam are incompetent it sounds like to me that you have unfortunately developed further faults with your system which could have be the cause of the intermittant problems to start with

imho heateam are are going to be the best people to diagnose the faults and the problems with your appliance

If it's external controls you need a good independent who has Part P or an electrical competence.

Heateam don't repair issues external to the boiler, as far as I'm aware.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back