Block Paving for a BBQ Base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So I have cut a 2mx1m section out of the lawn at the back of the garden.

I am going to add 75mm of compacted type 1 for the sub base a the other half wants it block paved on top.

My question is, do I need to mortar the bricks down or will sand be enough?

I think I will hammer down some wood edges to act as a barrier between the soil and the bricks?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Lay the outer blocks in a mortar bed.
This will hold them in place.
Clean the mortar away from the inside edge.
Allow to set.
You can use a concrete haunch to make them solid ..or lay in all wet concrete if you prefer.
Leave the haunch 30 mm low on the outside so you can soil and turf etc.

Then screed off the outer blocks with your screed board set so the screed is 5mm higher. Blocks will be proud by 5 mm.
When the blocks are laid just sweep in the joint sand and use a lump of 4x2 and a hammer to settle them.

Make sure the mortar held blocks are set so you can lay your inner blocks without cutting .
To do this lay some blocks on a hard flat surface and check width.
Allow 5 mm tolerance.

Hth

Hi

Appreciate your reply, could I just lay the whole lot on a mortar bed and make sure I haunch the outside of the edge bricks to prevent them moving outwards?

Thanks

Hi

Appreciate your reply, could I just lay the whole lot on a mortar bed and make sure I haunch the outside of the edge bricks to prevent them moving outwards?

Thanks

You can but they ten to float.
By this I mean one goes down and another goes up.
Lay them on a sharp sand cement mix and then knock them down, and that will be fine,
Haunch them first before compaction.

Sponsored Links
Last question.

Is an outside launch needed if they are against solid soil, I.e. because I have cut a section out of the lawn and the outer bricks will have the outside against the clay soil?

Ta

If you lay the outside blocks in wet mortar then you may be ok.
The outside blocks need to be held in place or it will move.
Soil swells and shrinks and the blocks will just shunt.

This is area I have dug out for the block paving, annoying the garden slopes and the manhole cover on the left is higher than the turf level. I am just going to make it slope a little to the right for the water run off.

Thanks

You could use some concrete edging or a 3x1 slab on its edge to keep the blocks in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back