Edge paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I'm paving an area in my back garden 20 sq M.
I have dug out and the sub base and grit is arriving for the weekend.
The plan is 75mm MOT1 50mm grit then the paving which are about 55 high and 165mm square.
I've a few questions.
(I have read paving expert site head to toe bit still have a few questions)

The paving will be slightly higher than the lawn and I don't like the look of haunched concrete around the edges.
So my plan is to make a mortar bed for the edge paving.

Is it ok to put a mortar bed onto compacted MOT 1 and if so should the compacted Mot1 carry on far beyond my mortar bed, or is it ok to stop it right at the edge.
I have looked locally for some PVC retaining/edging strips but no one seems to know they exist here!(ireland)

Do I run the whacked over the bedding course after I screed it or only before I screed it.
Do I run it over the laid blocks(I've read conflicting advice on both tese questions)

Any other ideas/thoughts welcome.
Marty.

Sponsored Links
You can lay the edge on mortar but it may get kicked loose over time. You should haunch it.

Lay your mortar on top of compacted MOT and extend your mot past the edge by 4 inches.

You wacker the sand before screeding it and then wack the blocks again once they are laid. Its best to do this final wack in conjunction with the dry sanding as it cushions the metal from the blocks a little and avoids chipping

You can lay the edge on mortar but it may get kicked loose over time. You should haunch it.

Lay your mortar on top of compacted MOT and extend your mot past the edge by 4 inches.

You wacker the sand before screeding it and then wack the blocks again once they are laid. Its best to do this final wack in conjunction with the dry sanding as it cushions the metal from the blocks a little and avoids chipping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back