Blocked drain gulley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

A friend asked me to sort out their blocked drain gulley.

I lifted the metal grill and pushed a drain coil thingy down. It won't entertain the idea of entering the trap. I stuck my arm in a rubble sack and pulled out loads of gunk, then noticed that the rubble sack had sprung a leak as I was pulling out lumps of congealed fat. I am tempted to buy "pond gloves"- to get to the bottom I need to go half way up my arm past my elbow.

Is it worth while paying £12 for the gloves, or should I just recommend that he pays for someone with a jet cleaner? I was hoping that could remove enough gunk to enable me to feed the "snake/coil" through. The property has no parking near by, so any drain jetting until would need to be portable. If the jet option makes more sense, does anyone know what the likely cost in west London would be (ball park price).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Tbh if it’s solidified fat, it will take more than a drain snake. Either a jetter or copious amounts of boiling hot water.

Hi all

A friend asked me to sort out their blocked drain gulley.

I lifted the metal grill and pushed a drain coil thingy down. It won't entertain the idea of entering the trap. I stuck my arm in a rubble sack and pulled out loads of gunk, then noticed that the rubble sack had sprung a leak as I was pulling out lumps of congealed fat. I am tempted to buy "pond gloves"- to get to the bottom I need to go half way up my arm past my elbow.

Is it worth while paying £12 for the gloves, or should I just recommend that he pays for someone with a jet cleaner? I was hoping that could remove enough gunk to enable me to feed the "snake/coil" through. The property has no parking near by, so any drain jetting until would need to be portable. If the jet option makes more sense, does anyone know what the likely cost in west London would be (ball park price).

Thanks in advance.
Herts Plumbing and drainage ( a regular here ) may cover your area.

If you must DIY, get yourself a Wet Vac, and remove as much crud as possible before putting your hand anywhere near. You never quite know what in the bottom of a gully pot, it's too late when you've a needle in your hand or a piece of glass has sliced your finger open. This will do what you need. https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wet+Dry-Vacuum-Cleaner-With-Blower-20L---1250W/p/215735 If it's still not clear at this point, refill with clean water and try plunging, may be enough to clear it.

If that doesn't work, and the issue is downstream, then I suspect a snake isn't going to do much in a 4" pipe, other than make a hole through the blockage. Chances are it's fat causing the issue, so you'd be better biting the bullet and getting someone in to jet it. Jet will clean the pipe, and remove most of whatever is stuck in there. .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses, I have passed the job on to a mate who is plumber. He plans to suck the water out to begin with. He has the electric Milwaukee "snake machine". He said that it that doesn't work, he will use the reverse pressure washer (from the man hole cover).

@Hugh Jaleak

yeah, it is fat that seems to be the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back