Blocked drain......help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a blocked drain in my courtyard,its the drain that the kitchen waste goes into and the washing machine water.its a very small trap and its completley blocked,ie 19 buckets of water yesturday when it rained,nothing is going down.our house was built in 1880 so its a ye olde house,how do i see if the drain outside are blocked,ive tried chrystals to unblock it,plunging and all matter of bleaches,but nothing,im starting to get scared that this is going to cost me a fortune,can any one help
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Well it might cost you a fortune too.....ok, where is the main drain access point? if it's on your land lift and check it's clear, if you have em use rods to run back up the line but this is sometimes not possible if the branch is out of sight. I assume only your sink waste run is blocked but check main access first. It is almost certainly blocked with starch/grease.....if you use washing powder the deposits cling to the line over time and bits of food and grease help lock it up. Bail out the u trap (drain outside) and with strong rubber gloves on try to clean out any matter in the u trap of the gully drain, get your hand round as far as you can. THEN pour boiling water into it and leave for 5 mins....then try plunging. If not you will have to either dig out the gully and get into the line that way or call out drainage company.......they have high pressure jet lines to blow it clear.....Try for a fixed price but none of em will be cheap.....oh, and change to liquid powder if you aren't already

thanks for the speedy reply,the main drain that i can see outside at the front of the house is fine,i can only get my hand so far into the drain which is blocked..i can put half of my hand in then i presume it goes under my house,i know that fat has gone down the drain,and i also know a tiny amount of cat litter as well,i was sweeping the yard and didnt realise id swept some in their,i presume this is where my problem lies....

All i can suggest is trying what i said ealier......otherwise call out the professionals. If you need to i have a name and number of a good one in forest of dean......he won't rip you off. let me know

Sponsored Links
Nothing worst than a blocked drain. I found this site and it tells you how to unblock your drain your self good info. my external drain was block and i cleared it my self with their info. hope it helps you :D
http://www.nidrains.co.uk/blocked-drain.
its on there menu as DIY unclogging!
Good Luck

NI drains CCTV DVD HPWJ root cutta Sonar Bullet :confused: Where`s Hertsdrainage when you want him :p

They'll be desperate after three years - you'll make a killing. ;)

get your hand round as far as you can. THEN pour boiling water into it and leave for 5 mins

That's got to hurt. No wonder the sh*t shovellers charge so much. :LOL:

Yeah Dude. Don't get scared. It was the problem with old houses. Anyway first thing is to stop flowing kitchen wastage to drain to as much as possible. Using chrystals may not give good result. Better go for unblocking solutions.

Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back