Blocked drain or faulty AAV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In my upstairs bathroom we have a toilet, sink and shower. The shower trap occasionally dries out and I put this down to not being used and hot weather. Today I noticed that when the toilet is flushing the trap level in the shower bobs up and down and drops lower with each flush.

Is worse if the sink is draining at same time.

Sink and shower connect to soil pipe which is internal and has an AAV. Very rarely we can smell sewer gases in attic but it usually goes with a pull of the flush.

AAV or should I be looking for a leak? To me it seems like the flush is making negative airpressure as the toilet water travels down the pipe and this is then pulling on the shower trap. It does not gurgle it just quietly lowers. Sounds like AAV faulty?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Yes the aav should let the air in. I presume the connections to the stack with the aav are independent. But showers often have very shallow traps so can be pulled easier. If you can remove the aav head to check operation then do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back