bathrooms smell bad, despite AAV fitted

Go up into the attic and take the AAV off the top of the stack, place a square of toilet paper over the top and get someone to flush the toilet and empty a few full basins at the same time. See what happens.

As suggested by both Hugh and Andy, one of the main reasons for the bad smell and black mould in the attic is due to a blockage in the outflow and there is moist sewer air being forced up and out the top of the soil pipe, that's positive pressure caused by the displacement of the air in the stack when water is being introduced.

Would I need special equipment to unblock the drain or can I use a hose?

If the drain is shared and it is if 4 houses use it, then it's the water authority's responsibility to sort out.

Sponsored Links
Would it be too many houses on the run have AAV's fitted?

Are you end of terrace/Row?

Would it be too many houses on the run have AAV's fitted?

Are you end of terrace/Row?
I am the highest up of 4 terraced houses, on the end. There was no AAV fitted on the stack in question when I moved in, it opened into the attic. Another stack on the other side of the house vents through the roof.

I am the highest up of 4 terraced houses, on the end. There was no AAV fitted on the stack in question when I moved in, it opened into the attic. Another stack on the other side of the house vents through the roof.

If it proves you don't have a block, could you take it through the roof or the cable end?

All be it one open vent should be enough. Has the open vent got a flexible tube that's sagging?

Sponsored Links
If it proves you don't have a block, could you take it through the roof or the cable end?

All be it one open vent should be enough. Has the open vent got a flexible tube that's sagging?
The soil pipe is rigid plastic just goes straight up and terminates about 30cm above the floor of the attic. I did get a quote to put the stack through the roof but I thought £800 sounded a bit much

The soil pipe is rigid plastic just goes straight up and terminates about 30cm above the floor of the attic. I did get a quote to put the stack through the roof but I thought £800 sounded a bit much

£400 would be a good earner.
Strictly speaking a scaffold should be erected but may will work off ladders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back