Blocking an air brick?

Gup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of removing an kitchen in a property we just brought.

The kitchen was old and mouldy, I’ve started removing the cabinets and painted the walls behind the cabinets with damp-proofer. (As pictured)

I was thinking of fitting a 100mm humidity fan behind the cabinets, (type that turns on if the humidity gets too high) to help with ventilation. I believe the wall is a solid brick wall (no cavity)

Do you think this is a good idea? Also there is space around the drain pipe for the washing machine and sink drain pipe too which I was going to fill with expanding foam.

Also behind the condensing drier there is an air brick that lets in a lot of spiders and draft. Can I block this as I am adding the fan?

There’s nothing gas in the room, the hob and oven are electric and the boiler is in a different room. Also it’s a kitchen dinner so it’s a large room.
There is also 2 windows and an exterior door.

There isn’t enough room to add insulation without removing the worktops which I wanted to keep.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance:)

Attachments

• 0401E20B-5D8D-4BD9-B5C0-5F76B04A824C.jpeg
    0401E20B-5D8D-4BD9-B5C0-5F76B04A824C.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 362
Sponsored Links
I am in the process of removing an kitchen in a property we just bought.

Also behind the condensing drier there is an air brick that lets in a lot of spiders and draft.

Thanks in advance:)
Get a vented dryer and vent it through the hole after taking the airbrick out

Do the windows and door all have trickle vents? That might be enough as a replacement.

Sponsored Links
Kitchen needs permanent vents , never remove only add them .

Even if the vent is behind the base cabinets? (Space behind cabinets will be all sealed) so won’t the vent only keep the space behind the cabinets cold and dirty?

Do the windows and door all have trickle vents? That might be enough as a replacement.

They don’t have any vents no, I was thinking of changing the job extracted fan to vent outdoors as a pose to recirculating..

Even if the vent is behind the base cabinets? (Space behind cabinets will be all sealed) so won’t the vent only keep the space behind the cabinets cold and dirty?
No the space behind a cabinet is not sealed and can vent under the units over the plinth .

They don’t have any vents no, I was thinking of changing the job extracted fan to vent outdoors as a pose to recirculating..

Def get it vented outdoors, all the steam without any vents will cause problems somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back