Blocking up void in fireplace to reduce draught and noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Behind our electric fire in the fireplace there is a void which is bringing in draughts and noise from the road outside. There was an old back boiler but this is not used and was replaced with a new gas system boiler when we moved in.

How can we insulate this or block this up to reduce draughts and noise? Could we put insulation board across the void down to the floor (the house has suspended floors) or what should we ask a builder to do?

Many thanks for any advice
Lauren

6F145E56-F156-47EB-B56C-69FB5195BC60.jpeg
B14DC550-3BFA-44FB-8B16-9D188D74F561.jpeg
5223DC5C-F5DA-4504-A766-0264A9DE3AC9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
you will need to keep some air movement up the chimney, may be that can be sourced from under the floorboards - if you stick your hand down as far as you can, can you feel air movement?
if that is the case I see no reason not to completely block the front off, the heavier the material you use will stop the most noise, a lttle insulation will help too - but you do need to keep some air flowing up the chimney or you could end up with dampness.

I take it the baxi boiler is all disconnected.

Thanks, yes I think so, the baxi boiler is not used - how can you tell? I have been using a Worcester Bosch system boiler and unvented hot water cylinder (both of which are in a different part of the house) for the past 5 years so I’m guessing the baxi boiler is disconnected?

Yes if I put my hand down in the void (basically beneath the floorboards I can feel airflow from below. I can’t block the front off as the inset electric fire goes into this void by 75mm I was hoping to block off the gap down to the floor below?

I’m looking for the best solution, so really grateful for any advice before I speak to a builder or is this something you can do yourself?

Lauren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back