Blower Does Not Shut Off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our church has a oil fired forced hot air single zone heating system. It does provide heat but for the last week or so, no matter how far we turn the thermostat down the blower continues to constantly run. It does cut the heat off but the blower continues to run. Could this be just a bad thermostat? The thermostat is just one of those round wall mounted Honeywell's. Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Dont you have a competent maintenance engineer looking after your unit?

This is a UK forum and when you dont tell us even the make and model of burner there is no chance of us guessing anything.

If this is different to what it used to do then its clearly not correct.

Any oil burning appliance needs regular servicing!

Tony

Thank you Agile for your prompt reply. I have not even looked at the make or model of the furnace yet. Yes we do have a service man who services it once a year. We do not have a lot of $$$ and I was just throwing this out there to get a general idea of what the problem COULD or might POSSIBLY be. If it were just the thermostat, I could take a chance and spend very little money on a new one and replace it myself. What do you think? Thanks.

If the thermostat does cut the heat then I would say thats its working.

If you still wanted to change it yourself then that would do no harm!

The problem seem to me to be in the burner control box.

These are usually plug in items and cost about $250 to buy.

You could probably replace it yourself if competent and it might well solve the problem!

But it may not be the fault! For example it may have a cool down thermostat in the burner unit.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Agile. I may take a look at the Blower thermostat switch/Fan Limit Control. It may be something as simple as the On/Off setting stops.

Have a look at the unit its self and see if there is a summer switch on it or it maybe called something else over your side.. This is designed to circulate air with no heat in the summer if someone has turned it on by mistake the fan will stay on as long as the timer or power is on.... Not all units have them but worth a try.

i am assuming by forced air you mean warm air heating blown with a fan

Thanks Agile. I really believe now that this is the problem area since this past week or so is when we were experiencing some much warmer outdoor temperatures for the first time this year.

Yes, I expect it is!

I had wrongly interpreted your "blower" as meaning the fan in the oil burner as you had given so much information on it.

If its the air circulation blower then thats the likely solution that its been put into a summer air circulate mode ( perhaps by someone who knows more about the system that you do! )

I do quite a lot of churches, synagogs and mosques and the common factor is that no one ever understands their system properly but they all like to fiddle!

Tony

Thanks again Agile. Yes I meant the air circulation blower, sorry. I am not a heating expert but I am very handy and can fix or install most anything correctly and to code. I am for 99% sure now that is the problem area and will check it out this weekend. Thank you so much and have a nice day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back