Blown PCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Valiant Sine 18 T3WF H
Serial No. 18921586

Could anybody please tell me what might have caused the PCB to blow on the above boiler.

Hopefully picture will be attached by admin.

Sponsored Links
The sine 18 is an old boiler Ken.

Has the pcb burnt out or is it just the fuse popping?

Andy

If you have replaced roomstat with a satchwell roomstat these cause the fuses to blow

Hi Andy,

It's a shame you can't see the pictures I've taken, you will see that it has well and truly blown at the back of the left hand switch ( the one with the rad on it), as well as the lower track at the back of the board. The 'A' connector has also been badly damaged third wire up from the bottom (Black with No2 on it).

Looks like a short cicuit somewhere.

Althouth it's an old boiler upto now it's been very reliable and repairable

Sponsored Links
If its the original it could 15 to 20 years old.

Some pcbs can go faulty and burn out for no apparant reason. I would recommend speaking to Vaillant to see if there is a specific componant that is causing this. If not change the pcb and see what happens.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I'll give Valiant a call tommorrow and see what hey have to say.

Ken

These are old but solidly built and quite repairable boilers.

Before replacing the pcb if, and only if, you are competent then power the pump for a few hours from a seperate supply.

Just sometimes a pcb can fail for no apparent reason. In reality its a poor joint which starts arcing. Other times its a faulty part in the boiler.

Tony

KenD said:
Valiant Sine 18 T3WF H
Serial No. 18921586

Could anybody please tell me what might have caused the PCB to blow on the above boiler.

Hopefully picture will be attached by admin.

Which pcb, the control or the switch ?

Boilers been running now for a week, all looks OK.

Replaced PCB, replaced wiring loom and differnial valve.
Couldn't find any obvious faults, apart from the leak from the differential valve had been dripping on to one of the spade connectors on the solenoid, also one of my room thermostates was faulty.

This is a great boiler, I just hope the spares are avaiable for another 18 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back