Boarding loft space

wombats said:
The advice you both just gave there is very appreciated. So i am looking to cross batton the joists with 2x2 or should it be 3x1 as i have seen mentioned a few times before? Also in my loft i have the insulation between the joists and just over a year ago i had an insulation company add more to it to bring it up to the required amount,but they layed it the opposite way. Will i have to re-lay this the same way so i can see the joists the fasten to?

I'd use 2x2, will flex less than 1" thick timber so will spread load better*, Fix at the same widths as the existing joists, probably end up being 400mm, maybe 450 on centres.

The insulation will have to go between the counterbattens so yes, in the same direction they are in now. You might have to cut it down width wise to fit between the 2x2. Watch for cables now :idea:

*and will be cheaper, last length of 3x1 I bought ended up costing more than the same length in 6x1. I would've ripped it myself had I known beforehand!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Deluks

Forgive me for any misunderstanding, but do i fit them directly onto the existing joists or accross the opposite way?

wombats said:
Thanks Deluks

Forgive me for any misunderstanding, but do i fit them directly onto the existing joists or accross the opposite way?
Across, at right angle to, make a grid.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back