Boarding loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to board the loft in our Victorian terrace to provide some extra storage space only .also to replace the insulation which at the moment consists of a layer of wood shavings !!!! My question is that down each side of the loft are some strips of fairly thin pieces of timber about 2 feet long that are nailed between the celling joints and the roof trusses . These strips look like bits of scrap timber and not thick enough to be of any structural value. I would like to remove them and replace them with some thicker timber and plasterboard to form what I think is called a knee wall . what is their purpose ?and is it safe to remove them ?
Dave

Sponsored Links
They are either to give the ceiling joists or roof extra support. Without seeing them I can't be 100% But if your going to replace them do them one or two at a time to be on the safe side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back