Question about removing timber from a loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on whether it's safe to remove some timber in our loft...

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to lofts, so please excuse my ignorance and lack of the correct terminology to use :D

We've recently moved house and wanted to put loft boarding down so that we can store some of our things in the loft (christmas decorations, etc - nothing heavy)

I've already made a start using Wicke's loft boards and it's been going pretty well, however in some areas of the loft there are timbers nailed across the joists like this:

I wanted to know what they are and if it's safe to remove them so I can put the loft boards in their place.

There are cross braces in place across some of the trusses like this:

Which I assume is there for rigidity in the wind and shouldn't be removed?

Any advice regarding the timber across the "floor" of the loft would really be appriciated as I'm really not sure if I should just board around them or even invest in raising the floor over them (but as I've already started boarding out, I'd really not prefer to do that).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mark

Sponsored Links
One of the numerous experts on here will no doubt give you a proper answer but could it be that the previous occupants just nailed a few planks on the joists criss-crossing the attic so they could walk on it (as opposed to being bothered to fully board it)??

Do they appear to lead to certain areas e.g. water tank, F&E tank etc. ??

Hi - Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping the same thing (that the previous occupant had done it) and no they don't lead anywhere in particular, the water tank, etc is all held on separate supporting members

Possibly laid during construction as stabilisers across the truss "joists" likewise the diagonal lengths.

When you lay your "loft boards" you will stabilise the truss if the boards are screwed down.

The diagonal pieces can be removed and taken higher up to screw-fix horizontally across the truss "rafters"
- screw-fix similar horizontal bracing lower down the "rafter".
They are stabilising very little at the moment with only a one nail fixing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much Ree - that all makes sense.

I just wanted someone with a more professional eye than me to give my their opinion before I went destabilising the roof!

I now thank that I know what I'll be doing this weekend :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back