Can I remove these diagonal pieces of timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm currently boarding my loft for storage and raising the beams so I do not have to compress the insulation. I've come across some diagonal timber (see picture) and need to remove it to keep the new beams level. Is it safe to do so? A friend of mine said that I can but I want a second opinion.

Sponsored Links
They are probably something that was fixed as a tempoary bracing when the building was put up although without a more detailed look it's not possible to say for sure.
As you are going to raise the timbers for the floor (presumably at right angles to the joists ) why not leave the braces there as they aren't hurting anything and notch the new timbers over them?

Have done loads of gang nailed trusses and every roof I've done have a difference type bracings depending on the design of the roof structure which comes with bracing plans which we have to follow, sometime we do a temporary bracing but looking at your diagonal bracings, I would say that's is part of the structure as it's neatly done, so it's best to leave it alone

Sponsored Links
Nope you shouldnt remove it. As said above its more than likely a brace to the trusses (and yes they can go in all kinds of places depending on designers whim).. live with it..

With respect, those joists dont appear to be trusses. The brace was merely for holding the rolled joists in place during fixing. Remove it with confidence, any bracing required will be taken up by the proposed boarding.

Well I removed it and secured by cross joists down. My house never fell down in some of the highest winds in years so I guess it was ok to remove. Phew!

I dont how how your extending the joists, but assuming there four inch and you want ten inch or so insulation you proberbly spacing it p on blocks not soild 2*6? I used 3*2 on 3*2 blocks. In which case I cant see leaving them being an issue. But as said, without more info we can but guess.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back