Move/remove loft struts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm wanting a little floor space in my loft for storage but the struts/beams are a bit annoying. Can I move them all from the diagonal position to vertical like a couple have already been done left of the chairs(there was water tank there)? Or can they be removed and collar ties installed at apex?
IMG_20151115_123954.jpg

Sponsored Links
There will be a load bearing wall beneath the diagonal struts supporting the load from the roof.

I don't know if there is a load bearing wall under the vertical struts (although it seems unlikely). It's possible that it's part of the original design if there was a water tank there in the past, but it's impossible to say what's supporting them based on the information you've given.

Don't move any of the struts in your attic without advice from a professional who has inspected the roof and layout below.

OK thanks for the advice, the vertical struts where water tank was are directly above the bathroom about metre from wall. The thing is the other half of loft struts aren't on a wall but have thin vertical strips of wood also. No space to move at all.
IMG_20151115_123927.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back