Boarding out a loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to board out my loft - the area is 4.2m x 4.8m wide. The ceiling joists are 4x 8.5cm in size and the distance from centre of each joist to the next is 34cm and the internal distance between joists is 30cm.

Currently there is no ceiling - the joists are exposed.

1) Can I use the placement of the loft legs as shown below - where they are on alternative joists rather than on each joist.

2) Is it better to go with the larger board 60cm x 120cm or the smaller boards 32cm x 122cm?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-P5-T+G-Chipboard-Flooring---18mm-x-600mm-x-2400mm/p/164516

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Chipboard-Loft-Panels---320mm-x-1220mm-Pack-of-3/p/116420

3) As I will be putting down loft insulation after the ceiling is boarded up - will I have enough clearance? The joists are 8.5cm high and the loft legs 17.5cm - giving me 26cm so 1cm shorter than the required 27cm?

2JAlUX.md.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why is the insulation going down AFTER you have boarded up?

Sit some 8x2's on top of alternate ceiling joists if you have room in the eaves - this will give you 280 between for insulation, floor with the 8x2 chipboard. Those existing joists won't take any more weight (especially if you're only loading every other one, but if you do choose to use legs at least stagger them over all the joists).

The problem with "light storage" is that it tends to mount up - in our case along with the Christmas tree we have: boxes and boxes of books, camping gear, leftover laminate flooring, carpet underlay, that big metal bumper reinforcer that you take off your car when you fit a towbar, 10 lengths of twinwall stainless steel flue, 2 rolls of chicken wire, 40 glass bricks, a bed frame etc, etc.

I replaced my sagging 3x2's with 8x2's, 200mm mineral wool between and underboarded with 100mm celotex. Warm and toasty upstairs with minimal heating and no cracked ceilings!

Why is the insulation going down AFTER you have boarded up?

Currently there is no first floor ceiling - had the old lathe and plaster removed as it was sagging. So when the plasterboard is put on the ceilings - I can then add loft insulation.

Sponsored Links
Sit some 8x2's on top of alternate ceiling joists if you have room in the eaves - this will give you 280 between for insulation, floor with the 8x2 chipboard. Those existing joists won't take any more weight (especially if you're only loading every other one, but if you do choose to use legs at least stagger them over all the joists).

The problem with "light storage" is that it tends to mount up - in our case along with the Christmas tree we have: boxes and boxes of books, camping gear, leftover laminate flooring, carpet underlay, that big metal bumper reinforcer that you take off your car when you fit a towbar, 10 lengths of twinwall stainless steel flue, 2 rolls of chicken wire, 40 glass bricks, a bed frame etc, etc.

I replaced my sagging 3x2's with 8x2's, 200mm mineral wool between and underboarded with 100mm celotex. Warm and toasty upstairs with minimal heating and no cracked ceilings!

I also have a cellar for heavier storage. I was going to use the attic for light storage that needs to be kept dry as the the cellar has some damp issues which need to be resolved.

I have about 5 lengths of 4 x2 's - could I use those?

Thinking again I may just use loft legs on all of the joists. To add - the joists do not span the whole length of the house. About halfway there is a wall which the the joists rest on - then another piece is secured onto it. So the there are 2 joists secured halfway resting on that wall for extra support.

Would it be better to just board out half the space intended - I really don't need all of it and I was just doing it now as I could do it using a ladder from below as there is no ceiling to get in the way.

2Jk49e.md.jpg

dPNR5b.md.jpg

Replace those flimsy sticks with 8-9x2 then board and insulate.Cut your long term heating bills.

Replace those flimsy sticks with 8-9x2 then board and insulate.Cut your long term heating bills.

To clarify you mean just make my own legs from 9 x 2 Timber - then just use 4 screws to drive them into the joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back