How much can I compress loft insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Current roof joists are 8.5cm, and loft legs come in 17.5cm and 30cm. Loft insulation is 27 or 30cm

If I go with the shorter loft legs that will give me 26cm so will need to compress the insulation about 4cm or 13% or 1cm if I go for 27cm insulation.

Or I go for the 30cm legs and leave a 8.5cm space under the boards and lose that in height.

Really unsure whats best to do.

Also as to loft insulation how does Knauf roll insulation compare to Rockwool? As its about 1/3 the cost.

Sponsored Links
You can easily compress regular loft roll by that much, but note that its insulation effectiveness will decrease in the same proportion.

You can easily compress regular loft roll by that much, but note that its insulation effectiveness will decrease in the same proportion.

But should I have an air gap above the insulation and below the loftboards to stop condensation forming?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back