Boarding out loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My husband is keen to board out our loft, we have fairly new insulation down and know that it has to have space between the rafters and boarding.

However we live in an early 1930's house and it's unfelted (cement torched) we want to cover the inside. too.

We had a quote from a company who have said they will plasterboard it, I'm very unsure about this both because of ventilation in the loft and in between the boards and rafters as I'm scared of condensation. Both the company and my husband have said it will be ok.

I have asked at least if we could just board down to the large beam about 3/4 of the way down (Purlin?) leaving the eaves totally free, but the company have said we can board lower than this. They have said although the floor will be fully boarded they will lay verticals?? around the edge of the floor and this in itself will allow enough air flow from the eaves.

I'm not convinced however, it would be nice not to have the dirt and dust coming in.
I would be grateful for opinions on this, or if there is a decent breathable option for a cover over the roof rafters?????

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do a search of the Floors section of the forum, this has been discussed literally thousands of times already, both boarding the floor and covering the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back