Boarding out my loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have got quotes to board out our loft but it will be much cheaper to do it ourselves. Does any body have any tips on how to go about doing this. Our loft has an 18 foot by 8 foot area we want to board. Will it be possible to do it ourselves or do we save ourselves the hassle and pay more for professionals?

Sponsored Links
If it's just for light storage (ie boarding over the existing ceiling joists), then its a simple DIY job. Just use the small sheets of t & g chipboard (such as those at B&Q). Screw the boards down instead of nailing them.

If we use the boards from b and q will we be able to stand on the floor up there or still only in certain places on the joints? It's a new house so hasn't had anything done to the loft yet.

Yes you will beable to stand anywhere. I did my loft a few years ago. The hatch with the built in ladder was a pain though.

Sponsored Links
We were quoted 460 for the ladder, hatch, light and boarding. Think we need to visit b and q to work out the costs in order to see if doing it ourselves is more cost effective.

It's a new house
If its a new house, it will most likely have a trussed roof (ie with diagonal bracing). If so, you won't be able to cut any of the bracing out, and will have to work round it.
You can stand in the loft, but need to be sensible about what you store there as most trussed roofs are not designed speciically for loading other than ceiling plasterboard and insulation.

That price is not that bad. If its the whole loft.There will be alot of cutting involved as well like Tony said.
They would wire tithe light in as well. You might need a electrician to do that.

As Dazlight says, dont seem a bad price.

I did it myself approx 6 months ago.

Filled joists with the Space blanket, then used the Knauff Rigid 'Spaceboard (50mm) on top of joists to bring up to the needed 270mm equiv, then used the B&Q loft boards on top across the joists.

The cutting was a pain in the bum and the whole lot took me aprox 4 nights (I do work slow to minimise mistakes)

I'm really chuffed with it and glad I did it as I know it's done right, but I reckon it's prob cost £300ish for the bits.

I only did the middle of our loft which is about 12footx15foot spprox.
I made sure I wrote on the boards where the leccy wires go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back