Boarding over for walkway and storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a bungalow that uses trusses that have a 6m span which are spaced apart by 0.6m for a total length of about 12m (about 20 trusses).

Each truss uses 4 webs/posts in a 'w' formation. Forgive me if this is not the correct terminology. The trusses are made from 72mm x 36mm timber. The roof pitch is 5.6/12 (i.e. it rises 1.4m for a 3m run) so the loft area is very tight especially after the loft insulation has been added.

I have done some research and found that new builds make an allowance of 25kg/square meter and for a person that is about 90kg to move around the loft space. Correct me if I am wrong here. My bungalow is now about 25 years old.

Currently the ceiling plasterboard has been removed and prior to starting the work described below the ceiling had some sag in it but unfortunately, I did not measure it. I did, however, remove a water tank some years ago that caused the plasterboards below it to sag which could be easily seen. In fact when the tank was removed the plasterboard cracked where the water tank was placed.

What I have done so far is as follows:
For each of the centre sections of the joists I have added one 88mm high timber on top of another 88mm high timber, raising joist height to about 250mm. On top of this I have laid centrally, 0.6m wide OSB (18mm thick) for the length (i.e. over 20 built up joists). In addition there are two 2.4m lengths where two OSB boards have been added side-by-side to provide two 1.2m x 2.4m storage platforms.

The joists generally sag throughout by about 10 or 11mm at the midpoint of the span in the worst case. Typically it is about 5 or 6mm. I guess the sag can only get worse when the plasterboard is refitted. I am pretty certain that my boarding has added to this.

In retrospect I should have cross battened the joists instead of building up the joists as I did which would have distributed the load better. I calculate that the weight of doing the cross battening would be about the same as it is now if I use three runs along the full 12m length of the bungalow, so presumably the weight would be about the same which makes me wonder why there is such sagging.

Perhaps I need to re-enforce the existing trusses somehow, either by adding drops from the apex or running additional joists from wall plate to wall plate and joining in the middle. I am thinking of removing the boarding work and rethinking the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
FarmerJo

Sponsored Links
You've correctly identified the problem- your roof trusses are adequate for supporting the roof and that's about it.
If you really need the storage space up there then you need new floor joists sized for the span- if there is no centre spine wall you'll need some chunky timbers just to achieve 0.25 kN/m² (TRADA suggests 75 x 220 for clear span of 5590), engineered beams (JJ I beams) will probably be most effective.
Currently it's going to cost you a fortune- maybe rethink your storage plan?

I am assuming that the joists are also OK for the plasterboard and plaster top coat.

The weird thing is that I removed a section of my craw way at one end of the bungalow to ensure that there could be no additional weight on the joists forcing it to sag. Although this reduced the sag by a couple of mm the majority of the sag was still there. I checked to see how straight the two lengths of 3m were that form the lower part of the joists. Both lengths were straight. So then I got a long level and discovered that the problem was where the joining plates (not sure of its proper name) joined the two 3m lengths more or less in the centre of the span. The level rocked considerably and it did this for most of the other joists.

So now I am wondering what could have caused this. Could it just have been the weight of the plasterboard hanging there for the last 20 years?

Is there a way to restore the joists so that they are level again? I was wondering about using an acroprop to push the joist upwards and then running some timber either side of the joists where the joiner is and then removing the acroprop to see if this fixes the problem.

Regards
FarmerJo

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back