boarding uneven rafters to make it look right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just put new joists into my attic and I'm just about to stick in the flooring then put in the stud word for eaves cupboards, I have a problem though, the rafters sink slightly towards the centre of the room which will obviously show up if when I plasterboard the room, what is the best way to even things up so it all looks nice and flat/square ?

Sponsored Links
I've just put new joists into my attic and I'm just about to stick in the flooring then put in the stud word for eaves cupboards, I have a problem though, the rafters sink slightly towards the centre of the room which will obviously show up if when I plasterboard the room, what is the best way to even things up so it all looks nice and flat/square ?
double post

pack them out with laths or slithers of wood

go with it, its character. People pay good money for it

Sponsored Links
pack them out with laths or slithers of wood

what would be the easiest way to do this so that I get it all level?

go with it, its character. People pay good money for it

I want the room to look nice and flat, I'm not spending all the time to renovate for it just to look the same :)

board it, then use carlite and a straight edge.

then skim

or, run aa string line from either end of the rafters, fix some straight timber on to the side of the banana rafters and fix the boards to them :D

........ or, counter batten the room with 2x1 at 400mm intervals and use 3x1 every 1200 (where a board ends). you can screw straight through the battens with 4" screws and slip packers behind until your hearts content and the ceiling is flat as a pancake. Your floor joists should have gone in with the crowns upwards so when they deflect they would become more straight.

thanks for the advice

I have a feeling this job is going to be a ballache heh

I will probably opt for some kind of battens or shimming , I will get a string line up and see how it looks, scratch my head a bit , suck through my teeth, swear a little then decide which way to do it

the floor joists are pretty flat , I put the crowns to the top but there was barely anything in it, maybe a few mm at most

the joists are definitely flat within a few mm, I checked them out with a decent laser level as I put them in, they have slight twists but along the length they are really good for flatness, much better than the lot of joists I got for the kitchen/diner

I'll get some lines up tomorrow and see exactly how far the rafters have sunk in

nope, metal herringbone struts, they were slightly twisted before hand , it's nothing too bad though

In any case the joists are fine, the problem is with the rafters , or at least making the join between the rafters and studwall/eaves cupboards look parallel to the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back