Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for some advice about boiler and piping and floor insulation

The house is a 2 story detached
Upstairs has 4 large radiators and 1 medium radiator
Ground floor has 5 large radiators and 1 medium radiator
Boiler is a floor standing ideal Mexico 2 located in a small room/cupboard accessed from its own door at the back of the house
We also have a hot water cylinder in a cupboard upstairs heated by the boiler.

Due to a chain of events started by a leak in the loft it was necessary to remove part of the T&G chipboard sheeting in one of the rooms this and further investigation has found that all the radiators have 15mm pipe connected at the radiator but is then changed to 8mm just under the floor (directly under the radiator) the 8mm pipe then leads to a 22mm pipe that then leads to the boiler I think there’s a 22mm pipe going to each floor but cannot be sure.

1. The boiler is very old and needs updating any suggestions on a good reliable cheaper running replacement possibly with a better output.

2. As for the 8mm pipe feeding the radiators
I'm not sure what to do leave it alone or replace the whole lot with 15mm any thoughts?

3. I’ve been told that the cylinder has the pipes the wrong way round
At the moment the ingoing hot is connected at the bottom with the out going higher up the cylinder is this correct?

4. If we decide to get the pipes and boiler sorted I would like to get the suspended ground floor insulated any suggestions on how best to do this from below?

5. How much do you think it will cost to replace the central heating system boiler and pipes?

Thanks in advance
David

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back