Boiler choice on OV system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is having some building work done and the boiler needs moving onto another wall. There will be very little alteration to the pipework and we could re-use the existing boiler Glowworm Ultimate 50FF.

It is an Open Vented system with an Indirect Cylinder on a "Y" plan

I am thinking it would be better if we had a new Vaillant EcoTec 415 Open Vent Condensing boiler fitted at this time.

Two questions.

1. Would this be a good choice of boiler, any other A rated OV boilers

2. Would you suggest doing away with the F & E tank and putting a Vaillant System boiler in instead. The system is approx 10 / 11 years old would the rest of the system be ok to be pressurised.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You seem to like Vaillant, is there a reason for this?

They are not a bad boiler although the 400 series is not as good as the rest IMO.

I have not had any major issues sealing systems. I have had a couple of rads pinhole but that would have been a combination of cleaning the sludge out and pressurising.

My preferred choice for ov is the Viessmann 100 compact. It has a much larger bore heat exchanger than the vaillants and just about everything else on the market and is therefore much less effected by sludge in the system (that doesn't mean the system shouldn't be cleaned first though).

intergas combi. can be open vent heat only. used as a system. then if wanted in the future turned into a combi by piping up to the cold inlet. and still keep the heating side open vent. the 400 series dont seem to have a good rep. used to fit viessmann compact, good boiler but the pump proving switch was to much of a hassel. also 5 years with intergas. if installed by a trained installer.

Sponsored Links
intergas combi. can be open vent heat only. used as a system. then if wanted in the future turned into a combi by piping up to the cold inlet. and still keep the heating side open vent. the 400 series dont seem to have a good rep. used to fit viessmann compact, good boiler but the pump proving switch was to much of a hassel. also 5 years with intergas. if installed by a trained installer.

Spot on!

Spot on!

Definitely the way to go...

Thanks for the replies, as far as the preference for Vaillant, this is just based on the fact that I have had Vaillant boilers in my last 3 houses, and touch wood, never had a problem.

Friends and family with other makes have had a somewhat mixed experience with reliability.

I was at PHEX in Manchester last month and spent some time talking to the guy's on the Intergas stand. I was impressed with the product and it's versatility, but kept. Thinking "what's the catch".

If any of you guy's have installed a few of these, are there any issues or further down the line, do you see any.

Thanks

Sandy

youve also the added benefit of the pump being subject to warranty if on open vent. were as most open vent boilers have the pump external. started fitting these instead of viessmann. glad i am now.

Intergas boilers do mave more flexibility compared with other makes.

Any of their boilers can be installed as an OV if the right precautions are taken.

The OV has no pump and connections at the top.

The system boiler has a pump and connections underneath. They can also be used as an OV.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back