Boiler clicking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I'm a boiler novice although I have been a electrical service engineer in a previous life. :LOL: I have a couple of problems which may be related, I hope someone can advise me. (please!!!)

I have a Worcester 24i in a rented 3 story town house & it is installed in the garage (ground floor (I suppose it would have to be :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)
A few month ago whilst in the garage, i noticed that the boiler was making an intermittent clicking noise, like a relay clicking on and off but as it was functioning OK and due for a service soon I did nothing about it, as I mentioned as this is a rented house, CH & HW is the Landlords responsibility.

Unfortunately, our boiler now appears to have a problem staying alight, after removing the metal cover and looking through the small 'window' I can see that when the boiler fires up, it is lighting correctly but within about 3 secs there will be a click and the gas extinguishes, only to wait 2-3 secs and fire up again and repeat the procedure. I don't remember seeing the red light flashing, I believe it is solid on but I didn't realise it's significance until I read some other posts so didn't take much notice.

Function wise, our HW is V. unstable it takes a long time to arrive but I assumed that this was because it has to come up to stories to the bathroom! It comes and goes without touching any taps. The CH is working so I realise I am lucky in this respect but it is costing us a bomb to heat a small 3 bed house (upto £3 a day) and because we are on a pre pay meter we spend days with no money on the meter & therefore COLD.

Can anyone advise, I am not sure if there is anything I can check to avoid calling a plumber and getting lumbered with a bill because there was not an actual fault. CH system has been Bled rrecently pressure is between 1 & 1.5 and I have tried putting the heating to constant to eliminate the timer but this has no effect.

Thanks in advance. :D

Neil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back