Boiler Drain Off Better??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been told today that it is best to have a drain off on the boiler - it helps when draining and refilling ch systems to prevent airlocks?

any truth in this or is it just as good as one on a low level radiator? just curious? any experts know about this?

Sponsored Links
If the pipework runs from the boiler straight up into the ceiling then yes, have one on the boiler. If the pipe work drops and there is a rad nearby one on there would be fine.

do you mean if the boiler flow pipe runs up through the ceiling it is better... mine does but hasn't got one on it - although the radiator in the front room (same floor as boiler) has one on it - and the pipes obviously come down again through the ceiling to feed the downstairs radiators... is this ok, just the same/no worse?

If your boiler is on its own drop then you need a drain off at or just above the boiler.

Sponsored Links
hat exactly do you mean own drop? sorry for my ignorance here btw. if it doesn't have 1 and it is on its own drop, what will that mean exactly?

A drop is were the pipes drop down from the ceiling, so if your boiler has its pipes going up int othe ceiling then all that if feeds will be other drops, as draining your boiler will nto drain your rads for instance.

oh i see, thats why some single radiators on their own drop require their own drain valve too, for future draining!

my boiler goes up and then the pipe drops down to feed the donstairs rads again - which has a drain valve installed tee'd off a downstairs radiator. if i drain this syetm it should be ok as the drain point is at the low level ...?

For what reason are you intending to drain your heating system?

my boiler goes up and then the pipe drops down to feed the donstairs rads again - which has a drain valve installed tee'd off a downstairs radiator. if i drain this syetm it should be ok as the drain point is at the low level ...?
All you will drain is the rads not the pipework on the boiler, water will nto run uphill sadly :) Remember, if the pipes go up, then level out then drop only the pipes in the drop will drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back