Draining Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Grant Combi 70 MkII boiler and have been told that I need to drain it to move my radiator. The radiators do not have a drain point which is why I have been told to use the drain point on the boiler. Is anyone familiar with this boiler and if so, how can I safely drain and refill it?

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Nothing to stop you draining off from a radiator.
Take the radiator off and connect a hose to the rad valve. Quite often they are 3/4 bsp which is the same size as an outside hose union tap
If it happens to be 1/2"bsp after draining the water out of it.. then use a compression nut and ring and stick a short bit of 15mm pipe in the valve .... Your hose pipe will usually push on to this allowing you to drain off

Thank you for that but I've never attempted anything like this before so I'll need step by step instructions!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks kevplumb but is it simply a case of isolating the water entering the boiler and then attaching a hose to the drain point? Is there anything else I need to do in terms of pressure etc? Also, is refilling the opposite of draining and how do I control pressure etc?

Apologies for the amount of questions but I have never done this before!

Thanks

Assuming it's sealed system you should have a filling loop , and a pressure guage, which reads pressure in "bar". Those are what you use to refill.
An alternative is to freeze the pipes and put valves on. Saves draining, refilling and losing your corrosion inhibitor, and you keep you HW worling while the rad work's being done. See recent post - search for "freez/ing"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back